There are some simple ways to go safe boating with your dog this summer. Here are the top things to keep in mind as you plan your boating travels:
- Teach your dog to swim and go on the boat. Your dog needs to feel comfortable in the water well before you head out, take the time to teach your dog how to swim comfortably and how to enter and exit the boat safely. If you do not know how to introduce your dog to water, enrol your dog in the Dog Stop’s Learn to Swim Program.
- Your dog should always have a life vest while travelling in the boat. First take you dog to the Pet store and have the vest properly fitted. Put the vest on several times before hand at home and let your dog get use to the feel of it. Your dog will then happily put on his new vest and ride along with you in the boat. Remember, just like humans, regardless of how well they can swim exhaustion can happen if it is required to swim for a long period. If you are making a stop by a beach and your dog is comfortable swimming without a vest let them have some fun vest free.
- Hypothermia. The air temperature may be hot but in most lakes and rivers in our part of the world the water temperature is considerably colder. Dogs with thick fur will deal with cold water temperatures more effectivelyhowever a good rule of thumb is if it is too cold for you, it is too cold for your dog for long periods.
- Plan pottie stops. No, most dogs will not use the head on a boat.
- Carry a Dog first aid kit in the boat including numbers of the vets in the area. Be prepared before you go out by taking a Walks n Wags Pet First Aid course offered here at The Dog Stop.
A little extra planning will go a long way to keeping your dog safe while boating so you can both enjoy the boating experience.
At The Dog Stop we are dedicated to ensuring that you and your pet have a long and healthy relationship. We offer Walks N Wags Pet First Aid courses for Dogs and Cats. From learning how to prevent illness and injuries to dealing with bleeding, broken bones, choking, CPR/AR and so much more. We also offer Training Programs for every age and stage.